What do you do to wrap up the year? Celebrate with a big party surrounded by your group of friends? Or a nice dinner out with your partner or loved ones? Do you stay in with family, eating appetizers all night, playing board games, and watching the world ring in the new year on tv? Or maybe just a quick toast and kiss before the ball drops in Times Square?
This year feels very similar to last year’s celebration. My family and I will stay home, lounge around all day, prepare a special dinner, and toast each other and our hopes and wishes for 2022. We might play games or watch a movie. We will probably cringe at how many of our neighbors have illegal fireworks. We could stay up to midnight, but probably will only make it to New York’s celebrations (one time zone ahead of me!).
But I am not really in celebration mode yet as I have a few more things to do for today. And I am definitely not ready for goal setting mode and action mode seems very far off.
I am in reflection mode. Quiet, dreamy, and in my head mode. I find it helpful to reflect on the year before saying goodbye to it.
- What goals did I meet, or accomplishments did I recognize over the year?
- How did I celebrate?
- Were there any hurdles or difficult periods that I had to overcome?
- How did I grieve or mourn?
- What did I learn about myself (or others) over the year?
- How did I show myself love and compassion over the year?
- Did I have to shift my mindset about anything over the year?
- How did I practice staying flexible, pivoting or shifting gears this year?
- Who was most cherished in my life over the year?
- How did I express my gratitude?
- How did I show and receiving love?
- What were my favorite things about this year?
- What am I ready to release?
- What areas do I want to continue to grow into the next year?
I hope before you celebrate, you reflect too. We have all been waiting for COVID-19 to go away so life can “get back to normal” and yet, life still went on in other ways. Take some quiet time for reflection, have mindful conversations with loved ones or journal.
And then honor the gifts and accomplishments that you received or happened during 2021. No matter how small. Celebrate the year. Celebrate in a way that feels meaningful to you.
After celebrating, take time to goal set. Set your intention for what you hope to accomplish or receive in 2022. This can be done through journaling, creating a vision board, while meditating, while spending time in nature, or in any way that again, feels meaningful to you.
And then take action. Get excited for life. Get expressive about love. Get creative in your own unique way. Explore your world. Seek out joy. Send yourself compassion and self-care. Share your gifts and talents. Fall back into love with your life and watch what unfolds for you as you balance acceptance, gratitude, happiness, and hope.
Remember, reflecting, celebrating, goal setting, and action do not have to all happen between Dec 31-Jan 1. I know it’s what we are sold by many companies and corporations, but it’s not true. Take your time and honor your pace.
Wishing you limitless health, happiness, and abundance in 2022!